The Bodybuilder’s Diet: Walter’s Nemesis
For an aspiring professional the bodybuilder’s diet is perhaps the most challenging aspect of the process. Being passionate about working out and your goals can help push you past painful workouts and cardio, but it takes something extra to maintain a highly specialized competition building diet. Doing it on your own is difficult. There is a science to it and you need to have someone who understands Endocrinology and can help you put the right combination of foods that will work to develop your show ready body. Most have a pre-competition and show diet plans, one they do a week or two prior to getting on stage. As you will see there is little variety in most competitive bodybuilder’s diet. A major side effect of these diets, often times because they are carb starved or the bodybuilder goes through periods of fasting, is that they don’t feel well. Walter is no exception, the profound effect the diet has on his life is a major issue he needs to handle if he is to be in top form.
- Drink at least one gallon of water a day, try 16 oz. bottle every 2-4 hours.
- Eat clean foods high in protein.
- Need to eat precisely – all food measured and weighed and eaten on schedule NO EXCEPTIONS.
- No deviation from the plan – missing or changing a meal is as bad as missing a workout; maybe worse.
The Bodybuilders’s Diet – One Day
- Meal 1: 1 Cup Egg Whites – 1/4 cup of cream of rice – 1000mgs Cinnamon Cassia
- Meal 2: 7oz of Ground Turkey or Chicken – 1/2 cup of Broccoli, Spinach, Kale – 1/3 cup of Brown or Jasmine Rice*
- Meal 3: 7oz White Meat Fish (Cod, Tilapia or Flounder) – 5oz Sweet Potato – 1/2 cup of Broccoli, Spinach, Kale
- Meal 4: 7oz White Meat Fish (Cod, Tilapia or Flounder) – 4oz Sweet Potato – 1/2 cup of Broccoli, Spinach, Kale (On low carb day have 2oz sweet potato instead)
- Meal 5: POST WORKOUT 7oz White Meat Fish (Cod, Tilapia or Flounder)** – 1/2 cup Jasmine Rice
- Meal 6: Either 7 Egg White Omelette*** – 1/2 cup Green Vegetables OR 2 cups Muscleeggs
* SHOW 2 weeks out add 6 spears of asparagus with at least 3 meals for the day
** SHOW 2 weeks out on lowcarb day you can have 7oz red meat (Sirloin instead of Fish).
*** SHOW 2 weeks out on lowcarb day add 1 tblspn almond butter or 12 almonds.
*Between Meals 1 and 2
5g of fat from fish oil or MCT oil plus
Between Meals 4 and 5
10g Leucine or BCAA’s
2000mgs glycocarn or L-carnitine.
Note: Walter adds 1-3 extra Protein Shakes since he is not a full time bodybuilder and works as a personal trainer he needs to compensate for the use of that energy.